- How about those CBJ?! Defense kept things simple and made few turnovers (not perfect, but much improved over most of the season), Forwards took the transition feeds from the D-men and did things like get the puck deep WITH possession, then put a shot on net when there is traffic near the goalie... you know, things that lead to goals! And how about Jake getting off the schnide? It was a beautiful play from the turnover all the way to the cannon blast. And last but not least, Steve Mason was outstanding in net last night. The glove save against Huskins was a beauty, but it was his movement and positioning that was most impressive. Lateral movement and recovery time looked to be as quick and sure as last season. Check out Mike Arace's commentary about the suddenly hot Steve Mason.
- I didn't get this posted yesterday, but David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News has a very interesting blog entry regarding Claude Noel and his tie to the movie Slap Shot. Be sure to check this one out. 1st assist to Stick on the Ice for the link.
- And here's another interesting piece on Noel, this one from USA Today
- If Ryan Getzlaf isn't healthy enough to play in the Olympics for Team Canada, Flyers C Jeff Carter has been tabbed as his replacement.
- More Olympic news as it has been announced that Peter Forsberg will play for Team Sweden, and that Johan Franzen may replace the injured Tomas Holmstrom as the Swedes look to defend their Olympic Gold.
- The Capitals had a 14 game winning streak ended last night at the Belle Centre in Montreal. Game came complete with a come-from-behind performance by the Caps and a controversial goal/no-goal involving Ovechkin. Check out the game recap and the breakdown of the controversy, courtesy of ESPN.com.
Thursday, February 11, 2010
Afternoon Scrum 2/11/10
Hockey headlines for the CBJ and from around the league. Mmmmm... hockey