- So the GM's are having a pow-wow in Toronto to discuss potential rule change recommendations. The big topic, of course, will be the dangers players face from hits to the head. I'm sure there is some level concern on the part of the GM's about the players' safety, but quotes like this one from Lightning GM Brian Lawton bring some perspective as to whose interests are put first in these matters:
I had raised some of the concerns long before Viktor (Hedman) got hurt. So IThat's the bottom line, eh? Comforting to know. Don't expect too much to be done on this issue folks. In these types of matters it is a players' union that has to force changes to be made for the benefit of its members, and we all know that the NHLPA currently has no power whatsoever. Oh... and the GM's voted to keep the trapezoid behind the goals. Strong outing boys.
think it's very timely and I don't want to deviate from that (issue). I'm more
interested in the long term, what are we going to do, because it costs the teams
a tremendous amount when players are injured. That's the bottom line.
- CBJ take on the Red Wings tonight in NWA (insert Ice Cube joke here). This is the first meeting for these teams since the Wings sent the Jackets home with their tails between their legs in a four game playoff sweep last year. More on the matchup later today in our patented Four Lines Deep section. For now, check out the projected lineups and game story lines from the Dispatch and the Free Press.
- Our readers have spoken, and we have been listening. You want power rankings? You can't handle the power rank... oh, sorry. Here you go! Yahoo, TSN, CNNSI, and the obligatory ESPN. Let us know if you have sources that you want to see included.
- According to Wikipedia, the oldest person currently living is 114 years, 185 days (as of today). Chris Chelios is nearly as old, and still plays professional hockey. Now the Phoenix Coyotes are the leading bet to bring him back to the NHL.
- Don't forget to check back later for our breakdown of tonight's CBJ/Red Wings game. CARRY THE FLAG!
- Finally, today is Veteran's Day here in the U.S. and Remembrance Day in Canada. On behalf of all the bloggers here at Jackets Required, thank you to everyone who has served to protect our way of life and to defend others around the world.
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Afternoon Scrum 11/11/09
Hockey headlines for the CBJ and from around the league. Mmmmm... hockey